We all can see ourselves doing certain things or achieving a certain status. The problem is many of us do not take steps to actually reach those potentials. Goal setting is an important process and provides a step by step outline of our wants, needs and aspirations.
Goal Setting Reasons:
– More effective use of time and resources
– Short term gratification
– Long term gratification
– Confidence Builder
When you get started in your goal setting, take a look at your life. What is your ultimate goal? Take some time to think about this because you will use all your other smaller, short term goals, to work up to this point.
Once you determine your long term goal, it is time to focus in on your short term goals that will get you there. In general, this is when you begin to shape all the areas in your life. Some of these areas can be:
– Continuous Learning
– Perspective (Attitude)
– Professional (Career)
– Health (Physical and Mental)
These are all areas that make a person balanced and well-rounded. When you achieve these goals, you will be well on your way to attaining your ultimate goal in life, while enjoying a fulfilling journey along the way. Always keep in mind; this is your personal development process, not anyone else’s. Make goals that you want to achieve.
A good way to go about short term goals is to set goals in different ranges. I personally prefer three month goals because I can constantly review my progress. Weekly goals and daily goals can also be very important. Check lists and “to do” lists are often very helpful and necessary in the goal setting process. I mean, whenever you cross something out when you complete a task, it gives you sense of satisfaction that it is completed.
Keeping Momentum and Staying on Track
It is important that we consistently check our goals and make sure we are on track with them. We also need to assess them every now and again and check to see if anything has changed in our long term goals. If so, no big deal, just rearrange a little.
To keep on track, you will need to follow these tips to ensure success:
1. Be specific: Make goals with numbers. This helps to know when you have achieved these goals, which will motivate you more.
2. Be positive: Stay positive when determining your goals. Stay clear of words such as stupid, dumb, etc. What you focus on expands.
3. Make them attainable. “Chunk” down larger goals into more manageable pieces. It will make you feel like you are getting somewhere with it.
4. Prioritize: Figure out which goals are more heavily weighted and time sensitive.
5. Write them down! Keep track of your goals by writing them down constantly! This will serve as a constant reminder and allow you to see and measure progress.
Goal setting is an important aspect of our life. If we did not have goals, we are not achieving anything. So… what are your goals for the rest of the year? Leave your comments, I want to hear you out!
If you like this article, please subscribe to our blog by getting the Free Report on “7 Transformational Secrets to creating a Dynamic and Cohesive Team”. If you have comments, I would love to hear them. Please post them below.